Thursday, March 30, 2006

3121


So, U knew it was only a matter of time b4 I wrote about the NUMBER ONE ALBUM IN THE COUNTRY, right? U GO, BOY!

Prince has debuted at #1 on the album charts for the very first time in his 28 year career. And I must say, I have been jammin' 2 it ALL WEEK!

It's hard 2 believe he's only had 4 number 1 albums and that his last number one album was the soundtrack for Batman waaaay back in 1989!

Somebody said 2 me last week when I brought up 3121 that they had heard the single Black Sweat and was not impressed because it sounded like something they'd heard b4 from him. I had to think about this ... and they were right, it sounds just like Prince. But is that a bad thing? No matter how many genres he fuses together or what detours he takes along his vast musical landscape, he has developed a sound that is all his own and it is unmistakable. I remember when I first heard Tevin Campbell's Ssssh on the radio thinking 2 myself, "damn, that sounds like a Prince song!" And it was! In fact, he released his own version of it the following year on The Gold Experience (one of his best albums EVER, period!) So, I say yes, it sounds just like everything he's done before and when you're one of the most lauded musicians of the last century, how could that possibly be a bad thing?

So, onto my review of 3121. It does sound like something he could have released in the mid-90s, but from beginning to end it ROCKS. I've listened to it repeatedly now and while I don't agree with a lot of critics who know nothing about this man's music (some of them say it's his best work since Sign 'o' the Times? What R they smoking?) I do agree that it is solid all the way through. It's his most enjoyable commercially driven record since Emancipation.

So, here's how I rank the songs from my favorite on down:

1. The Word - FANFUCKINGTASTIC! If anything on this album sounds like a departure for Prince, this is it. It's cool, it's sleek, it's mysterious, it's catchy as hell, and I haven't read one complaint (well maybe one) about it's content seeing as it's religious in nature. And that guitar and those drums at the end ... LAWDHAMERCY! He worked it out. This is hands down my favorite track.

2. 3121 - FUNK ... FUNK ... FUNKAYYY! This was just too much when i first heard. When he came in with that Camille voice I just knew I was in vintage Prince heaven. My only complaint with this song is that it's too short! He should have made this title track a ten minute opus like other ten minute title tracks he's done including Crystal Ball, The Rainbow Children, Come and Purple Rain! I just can't get enough (and I can't get that hook out of my head!).

3. The Dance - Ok. I knew I loved this song before I heard it because it was my favorite song on The Chocolate Invasion that he released through his music club just a few years ago. I had no idea he had reworked it and made it even better! The screaming and pleading at the end brought back memories of The Beautiful Ones - one of my fave Prince songs ever. While it's not as good as The Beautiful Ones, it's a haunting, stirring, lush and beautiful ballad.

4. Black Sweat - this shit is just TOO hot. I didn't really appreciate until I heard it full blast on my stereo. Sparse, funky and perfect that deep drum bass is enough 2 make u sizzle on a cold day. It's the perfect mix of "Kiss" and "Hot Thing".

5. Fury - my favorite thing about Prince is his guitar prowess. This old school Prince rock song kicks ass. Nuff said. And if U missed this song on Saturday Night Live, look it and up and watch it. Now!

6. Te Amo Corazon - everybody (including me) scratched their head when he released this song as his first single. It's just not for the masses, BUT it is quite simply beautiful and elegant. The music is perfection, it melody clings 2 U and the lyrics are so romantic it just makes U wanna ... well, U know! Love it ... I played it again and again and again and it got better each time.

7. Incense and Candles - 90's style R&B. When it's this good and catchy, how could you resist? A lot of people on some message boards dismiss this song, but it's very commercial sounding to me. It's smooth, produced to be slick and polished and he even raps without making me smirk. It's hawt.

8. Beautiful, Loved and Blessed - this song was a grower. I thought it was ok upon first listen, but after hearing for over a week now I must admit it's wonderful. Everything about it, the passion, the message, that kick ass end part with the guitar licks ... and U know what? Prince and Tamar sound damn good together!

9. Love - This song might rank higher if it weren't for that Atari sounding space bubble noise he inserts near the end of the song. It sounds like something that came off my 1989 Casio. It also reminds me of The Max 4 some reason. But since I liked the Max, that's fine with me! My fave part of this groove is the chant at the end ... "awwww shake that thang, come on!"

10. Lolita - this is cool, catchy pop, nothing special though.

11. Get on the Boat - Nobody knows how to put together a jam session like this man! This sounds like it might have come from The Rainbow Children. Very jazzy and jammy.

12. Satisfied - classic slow jam. Sounds like On the Couch part II, but I like On the Couch better. I wish he had extended it and put in some more guitar, but it's a cool, wispy little ditty as is.

Ok, Prince. 3121 is da bomb. Just don't make me wait another 2 years for your next album!

"This is where the purple party people B!" - Prince, 3121

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home